quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2018

Restart

After a few years away I return to my blog. My remote station has evolved quite a bit since my last posts. I now have my Steppir 3e up at 12m, with an Expert 1k amp, but I still using the same TS-480 via removerig boxes.

But my main goal in this return to blogging is to document the final steps of a plan I have been developing for many years.

quarta-feira, 11 de abril de 2012

20 years after


In May ’91 I was still a class B licenced as PY1LJA I made my first QSO to the St. Peter and St. Paul Rocks (PY0S). I remember being very excited about it, with my old FT-757 running 100W to my trusty R-7 vertical.

Now, almost exact 20 years after, I had access to the original paper log of the DXpedition. Since I still have my own paper logbook, I had the chance to make this photo, showing both logs side by side on the page of the QSO.


This is something that would never be possible in the era of digital logbooks.

segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2012

Triple Play Completed

I´ve just completed a QSO with Dwayne, WY7FD, #150 on my Triple Play Award. That means working and confirming in LOTW all the 50 US states on all 3 modes.

WY on RTTY was pretty ellusive, but Dwayne was kind enough to set up a sked tonight.

The cradits are already in the system, and the award is requested.

Dx is so good!

sexta-feira, 18 de novembro de 2011

Remote Fun

Here is a photo taken during the last CQWW SSB. I operated remote, running Win-test. The remoting is done with a pair of Remoterig boxes, a superb solution for remote stations! On these photos you can see the control point (top) and at bottom a detail of the remote station. The CW Key does not appear. CW and SSB QSOs are perfect with this setup.

Everything worked perfectly, and I had a lot of fun. There were no delay issues, and I had to remind myself I was actually more than 100km away from the radio!


The station inludes the TS480HX (left), an LDG AT200PC antenna tuner, a remoterig unit ( on the top of the radio) and all power supplies. There is a PC at the remote site, that is being used less and less since I switched to the remoterig. I plan to replace it completly by using a serial device server to connect all serial port controlled accessories directly to the internet. I'll write about that in the future.

The whole station is built inside a computer rack:


Now the time has come to upgrade the antenna system. I am currently using an 80m dipole with the LDG tuner to get out on all bands.

domingo, 9 de outubro de 2011

Sleepless

I woke-up this night at 03 am local time. Feelink sleepless I decided to check T32C on 40m, a band I still need them. I fire my remote station, and there they are, weak but workable, but working only EU. I decide to check the other bands and work, in a row, 3D2CG and H40KJ on 25m CW and 5W1SA on 17m CW. Feeling happy I return to the T32C pileup, but still EU only. I return to bed.

domingo, 4 de setembro de 2011

Remote setup finally working


Last friday I finally had everything working on my remote control station.

First QSOs were:

MD0CCE 15m CW
LX/PA3EWP 40m CW
LY37R 40m CW
VE7IG 30m CW
OH5JJL 30m CW

Next step is to make CAT with DX4WIN work on the control (operator) end.

terça-feira, 30 de agosto de 2011

From Wi-fi to wired at the station end

After more than a year trying to make it work, usually with marginal results, I finally gave up the Wi-fi link to the remote station. Armed with 60m of white UTP cable, short and tall ladders and some helping hands, I changed the internet connection of the remote station to a wired link.

The results were immediate, and now I can access, control and hear the remote radio with much more reliability.

I definitely do not recommend a lengthy Wi-fi connection at the station end for remote operation use.

Another tip from the learned lessons book is that you have to use first class workmanship on all items of the station. Both good material and careful execution are essential. For a few weeks I could not access the radio, and when inspecting it on site I found a bad Powerpole connection on my RigRunner (my fault, Rigrunners and Powerpoles are great). This knocked off my Microkeyer, killing the link between the PC and the transceiver.

Now everything is online again, with decent response speed.